Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A Dream Come True

Jwaye Nwèl!

Merry Christmas from Haiti!

It has been one of those years where you look back and stand amazed at all that God has done in such a short time. It was just last December when I was back and forth about taking aweek-long trip to Haiti. It was that trip in March that changed my life and opened my heart to this wonderful place. I returned to Haiti in June for nine days, and by the end of July I was making plans to move here. I have been living in Haiti for almost three months now, and I absolutely love it.  

I came here to teach preschool, 7th and 8th grade math, and 4th grade reading. I was struggling with the teaching and while I did my best, I am just not a teacher. Some people are gifted in this area but it's not where my heart is.  I began praying about my role here. I had no doubts about being here in Haiti or at Christian Light School (CLS) but I wanted to do work that lined up with my degree and my heart. 

One area at CLS that I had hoped to become more involved in is the Little Angels Nutrition Program, otherwise known as baby feeding. Each day the baby feeders go out into the community and feed children under age three who are enrolled in the program. The children are fed fruits, vegetable and protein—all of which are lacking at home. They are also given vitamins. This is the program here that first captured my heart, but I had only been able to go out once since moving here because of my teaching schedule. 

Last month I began to see answers to prayer.  I was asked to consider taking over the baby feeding program.  When God answers He often answers bigger and better than we could have ever imagined or expected. The idea terrified me but in a way where I would be forced into relying on God alone and not on my own capabilities.  As I walk through the street markets towards the ravine each morning now, I can't help but smile inside and out. I have never before felt like I was so exactly where I am supposed to be. I have prayed for the people who live there and have desired to get to know them more—and now I can. 

Along with this new responsibility I have also taken over the Child Sponsorship Program. This will include keeping track of the sponsors and their donations, but also at certain times of the year, like Christmas, I will be busy sending out letters and cards from the kids to their sponsors. There is room for growth in this program so it will be exciting to see what God will do. 

I will also be continuing to work with Herode each day, but in a more focused way. This is a student who is struggling in class and really needs to have one-on-one attention. So after baby feeding each day, I will be teaching him and helping him build skills to hopefully integrate back into a classroom. 

So big changes but I am so happy. I am once again overwhelmed and in awe of how God answers prayers in the ways that are His best for us.  At this time of year we are reminded by the Christmas story that God can and will do the impossible.  A year ago I didn't even think it was possible to come to Haiti, let alone move here and become a full time missionary. Through prayer and waiting on His timing, He removed all the mountains that stood in front of me and cleared the way. He took my seemingly small prayers and gave me big answers. He heard my heart's cries and put me exactly where I am meant to be. I am humbled and honored that He has chosen me to serve His people here. I am so blessed this Christmas and I pray that you will see the impossible become possible in your lives this season as well.

Thank you for your continued support!



Me holding one of our newest babies in the program... 1 month old 

No comments:

Post a Comment