Sunday, December 21, 2014

Redefining Christmas





Being away for Christmas really makes you rethink what Christmas actually is about and what it means to you.

In a climate where it's perpetually summer it is hard to get in the Christmas spirit. But what actually is the Christmas spirit?  As I sit here listening to "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" in a T-shirt and shorts just a week before Christmas, I am pondering what makes it feel like Christmas to me.

Sipping a hot drink and writing Christmas cards at my dining room table while it snows outside...

Making Christmas cookies with the kids and eating way too many...

Finally drinking coffee from the red Starbucks cups...

Going to the hustle and bustle of the mall and hearing the "holiday" music while finding the perfect gifts for loved ones...

Sitting by the tree at night and looking at the twinkling lights...

Watching family and friends receive the gifts they most wanted and hearing the children's squeals of delight...

Snow delicately falling and swirling on the ground as I drive with Christmas music on the radio...

All these are wonderful traditions and I cherish them all but do any of them have anything to do with why we actually celebrate Christmas?  Christmas is about the birth of our Savior.  A King who lowered himself to be a tiny and helpless baby.  A baby born to die so that we can have life. The impossible made possible.

This year as I won't be with family or have the usual traditions, I am forced to rely on this true meaning of Christmas.  To contemplate and be joyful for this most wonderful gift of all.

I am not going to pretend... as I sit here writing this I have tears thinking about how much I am missing my family right now.   But I also know that I have a Savior who knows this and will bring peace and joy to me as I experience this different Christmas.  I know that He has me here at Christmas for a reason so I am looking forward to see what is in store.


They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. (‭Matthew‬ ‭2‬:‭11‬ NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment